While fall may be the most popular season and you are probably looking forward to the cooler temperatures and the shorter days, that doesn’t mean that you won’t miss summer. The long days at the beach, soaking up the sun, and staying cool in the ocean waters of Florida, along with precious times spent with your kids while they are out of school will be missed.
Soon, it will be time to switch over your HVAC system from a cooling function to a heating function. Altman’s Cooling & Heating has spent the last 30 years helping residents and businesses in the Titusville area find optimal indoor comfort. While we love the Florida weather as much as anyone, being able to escape to your home or office when it’s hot and muggy out, or when it’s cold and chilly with high winds, can soothe the soul.
In our last blog post, we discussed some great fall tips to get your furnace up and running for the upcoming winter. In this blog post, we’ll go over some fall air conditioning tips in order to properly care for your AC unit until it’s time for it to return to life come next spring. For all issues heating and cooling, contact Altman’s Cooling & Heating today to get started!
5 FALL TIPS TO HIBERNATE YOUR AC UNIT
- Turn off the power to your AC unit. Because your air conditioning sits outside, it requires more care than your furnace simply due to the fact that it is exposed to outside elements. Altman’s Cooling & Heating recommends that you shut off the power to the AC unit. This will ensure no damage occurs to the electrical components of your AC unit during the upcoming months. In Florida, we have to worry about our AC units coming on unbeknownst to us if a warm spell hits. This is something we don’t necessarily want since there could be water or even ice still attached to your AC condensing unit. By turning off the power, you’ll be assured that your AC is done for the season.
- Clean all around the AC unit. Dirt, twigs, branches, and leaves can collect around your AC unit all summer. Be sure to clean out all of the debris around the unit to prevent any damage to the unit. You will also want to wipe down the unit to remove any dust and dirt, as well as any bird droppings. A good cleaning will prevent any clogs that could cause a problem come spring.
- Cover your AC unit. A protective cover will keep out moisture and debris, as well as help prevent cracking with the flux in temperatures that can occur here in Florida. You’ll also want to wrap any exposed pipes or lines in foam covers to protect them from damage from the cold. This tip by Altman’s Cooling & Heating is an easy one to implement, as an AC cover is inexpensive and well worth the investment to keep your AC unit protected while not in use.
- Invest in an HVAC inspection. Altman’s Cooling & Heating cannot overemphasize the importance of regular maintenance of your HVAC system. We are so passionate about regular maintenance care that we have a VIP program for our customers. When you join for a low monthly fee, you’ll receive the best in preventive maintenance for your HVAC system, including inspections and tune-ups. You also get discounts on repairs and new HVAC systems as well. By investing in regular AC maintenance, you’ll prolong the life of your AC unit and lower your utility bills. We’ll check your thermostat for you, lubricate any necessary parts, adjust the refrigerant level to where it needs to be, and clean and adjust your blower components, which are vital for the efficient operation of your AC unit. The fall is our least busy time for AC maintenance appointments. Beat the rush, and be prepared as soon as the heat hits come this spring by scheduling your AC maintenance appointment today!
- Continue to monitor your AC unit throughout the fall and winter. When you think of it or while you are walking by or glancing out your window, just check on your AC unit periodically in the coming months. Make sure the cover hasn’t shifted in the Florida winds, no large branches have fallen on your AC unit, and that your pipes are still insulated. If by chance ice does accumulate on top of your AC unit, remove it promptly so it does not do any damage to your AC unit.
WHY CHOOSE ALTMAN’S COOLING & HEATING FOR FALL AC MAINTENANCE
When you’ve been in the HVAC business for 30 years here in Titusville, you’ve seen it all. Altman’s Cooling & Heating believes that our longevity and experience speak to the fact that we offer the best heating and cooling services around. We take pride in being on time, efficient, and prepared for every appointment. We diagnose your heating and/or AC problem and then offer up solutions to fit your budget.
If you do need a new furnace or AC unit, you’ve come to the right place. Altman’s has partnered with some great local companies to offer you financing to help offset this rather large expense that is oftentimes unexpected. We run air conditioning and furnace service specials frequently that you can take advantage of. Furthermore, we give back to our community through various charities. Contact us today for all your heating and cooling needs!