Fall consistently ranks as Americans’ favorite season — and for good reason. The days are getting shorter, the air is cooler in the mornings and perfect by mid-day, and who can ignore the vibrant colors all around as the trees shed their leaves in preparation for the cold ahead.
Here in Florida, we are lucky in the fact that our fall is very pleasant. While we don’t have a lot of fall foliage, it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump away in the beautiful state of Georgia. By mid-day, we can take long walks by the shore. By the time Christmas comes along, we usually hit the very low 70s at midday and stay in the mid-50s at night.
Altman’s Cooling & Heating has been serving the Titusville area and its residents for over 30 years with the best HVAC services. From furnace repair to air conditioning service, we’ve been keeping you comfortable both at home and at work. In this blog post, we’ll review some great fall furnace tips as you get ready for the cooler temperatures ahead. Contact us today for all your heating and air conditioning needs!
6 FALL FURNACE TIPS
- Change your filters. One of the easiest and most cost effective things you can do to keep your furnace running strong is change the air filters before you turn it on for the first time in the fall. Air filters catch dust particles and allergens and keeps them from circulating in your home, and keeps these nasty guys from getting into your furnace, which can cut into its efficiency. Altman’s Cooling & Heating in Titusville notes that over the winter, air filters continue to accumulate dust and dirt, and thus should be checked and changed regularly.
- Monitor your furnace the first time you turn it on. We are all familiar with the smell your furnace makes the first time you turn it on after it has been sitting for six months. It’s a good idea to watch your furnace the first time you turn it on. Check it for any signs of damage, listen for any unusual noises, and make sure hot air is actually blowing out of the vents
- Check the furnace thermostat. As the brain of your heating system, you need your thermostat to be working properly so that your furnace is working properly. Again, monitor the thermostat when you use it for the first few times. Make sure it is turning on and off once the room temperature is reached.
- Schedule a fall furnace maintenance check with Altman’s Cooling & Heating. Likely since your furnace has been sitting for six months, it could use a good cleaning and inspection. During your fall heating inspection, our expert HVAC technicians will check all your system controls, system functions, air filters, electrical components, heat exchanger and valves. We’ll clean and balance the blowers, add any necessary lubricant, and clean and adjust burner assembly. Before we leave, we’ll test everything to make sure your furnace is running smoothly, optimally, and efficiently for the upcoming winter weather.
- Check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Smoke alarms and detectors are easy to overlook since they do their job soundlessly most of the time. You’ll want to get in the habit of checking them regularly and the fall is a great time to do just that. If you have a battery back-up system, you should develop a schedule to change out your batteries as well. Invest in or check your carbon monoxide detector as well. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is odorless. It is produced when fuel, such as gas, is burned, and it can build up to lethal levels if your HVAC system is not properly ventilating the gases. When you call Altman’s Cooling & Heating in Titusville, we’ll inspect your ductwork as well to make sure your furnace is ventilating properly.
- Schedule a ductwork cleaning. Your ducts are vitally important for circulating air throughout your home, as well as for proper ventilation. You should regularly schedule a ductwork inspection and cleaning as part of your fall furnace preparation.
THE IMPORTANCE OF FALL FURNACE CARE
Your HVAC system, like all things in your home, can wear out. It’s important to have it regularly maintained for optimal performance, longevity, and health of your HVAC system (and your family). Alman’s Cooling & Heating offers fall furnace inspections and maintenance services so we can ensure your furnace will run efficiently and smoothly all winter long. Although we are spoiled here in the Titusville area with mild winters, we do often use the furnace. At Altman’s, we focus on old fashioned customer service with the highest quality care. We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a money back guarantee. Ensure your furnace is prepared to keep you warm this coming winter. Call us today for your furnace inspection!