HVAC: Indoor Air Quality Guide in Titusville, FL
The following guide provides helpful information on air contaminants, and the steps residents of Titusville, Cocoa and the surrounding Brevard County, Florida communities can take to improve their air quality.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) considers indoor air pollution one of our main public health concerns. This is because indoor air is a prime carrier of contaminants such as animal dander, dust, chemicals, mold and bacteria. Most indoor air is circulated by the ventilation systems in heating and cooling systems. These systems are normally designed to filter large particles, and can leave microscopic bacteria, gases, and chemical contaminants in circulation. If your ventilation system malfunctions, this will have a direct and immediate impact on your air quality.
Useful Facts About Indoor Air
- 94% of all respiratory problems are caused by polluted air
- Approximately 50% of all major office buildings have contaminated heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems (HVAC)
- If not properly maintained, HVAC systems are a hotbed for the growth of mold and bacteria
- We each inhale over 3,500 gallons of air each day and children inhale comparatively more air particles due to their size
- Asthma affects more than 31 million Americans, and about one-third are children under 18
- One ounce of household dust can contain about 40,000 dust mites, a common household allergen
- It is estimated that 10-15% of Americans are allergic to cat or dog dander
- Each of us sheds up to 700,000 skin flakes per day
What are the Potential Health Risks of Indoor Air Pollution?
Indoor air pollution can cause health risks from minor discomfort to life-threatening illnesses. Children, the elderly, and individuals with respiratory conditions are generally more susceptible to airborne contaminants.
Exposure to these contaminants may cause the following symptoms:
- Headaches and dizziness
- Cough, nasal congestion, and runny nose
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Lethargy and fatigue
- Nausea and vomiting
What Kind of Household or Office Products Contribute to Poor Indoor Air Quality?
Many things can affect the quality of the air in your home or office. Some you will not be able to see or smell.
Potential contaminants can include:
- Pesticides and cleaning chemicals
- Pollen, mold, dust, animal dander, and biological pollutants
- Scented products
- Tobacco or cigarette smoke
- Blocked or damaged air vents
- Asbestos or urea-formaldehyde foam insulation
- Chemicals in plastics, cloth fabrics, furnishings, floor coverings, and building materials
- Carbon monoxide produced by appliances or heating systems
- Gas, oil, or wood combustion gases from furnaces, stoves, and fireplaces
- Garage vehicle emissions
How Can I Improve My Air Quality?
Florida’s warm, humid climate can make indoor air pollution a significant problem in Titusville, Cocoa, and the surrounding areas. An air quality assessment by one of Altman’s Cooling & Heating professionals is one of the best ways our customers can maintain high air quality and an efficient HVAC system. We also recommend vacuuming with a HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, regular replacement and maintenance of furnace filters and vents, and reducing humidity to help control pollutants like mold and mildew. Overall, make sure your home or office building has a good ventilation system with quality air cleaners and filtration.
Cleaner Air and Peace of Mind
Altman’s Cooling & Heating has specially trained technicians to identify and correct ventilation and environmental contaminants that can contribute to low air quality in your home, office, or industrial building. Call us, and we’ll recommend the necessary steps to ensure that you can breathe easier, season after season and year after year.
For over 30 years, Altman’s Cooling & Heating has kept residents of Titusville, Cocoa, and the surrounding Brevard County, Florida communities in comfort. We are proud to offer the affordable $29 service call, with fully equipped vans to solve common heating and cooling problems on the first visit. We maintain the highest level of customer satisfaction. Call and let our expert technicians deliver a prompt, professional, and friendly solution for all your air conditioning needs.